Thursday 15 January 2009

Image research and Editing

I have started researching the kinds of images I want to use in project and I have decided that I won't be taking pictures of my own within this project. I feel that internet images will be more appropriate for this particular assignment, as images of people suffering from smoke related illnesses are easier to gain access to. The first images I have been looking at are photographs of celebrities smoking, in films and programmes, celebrities smoking socially and simply celebrities smoking for photoshops in attempts to make the photgraph look more appealing to viewers. These are some of the images I have found and will potentially use in my website.

This is actor, Shahrukh Khan smoking a cigarette at an awards ceremony.

This is an actress (I'm unaware of her name) smoking in what appears to be a film.

This is Brad Pitt smoking in what appears to be a film.

This is a photo of Renee Zellweger smoking in a scene of 'The Brigette Jones Diary'.


This is Chalize Theron smoking in what appears to be a photoshoot. Looking seductive - this is what may appeal to teenage girls as they will naturally want to look as sexy and glamorous as their celebrity idols. This image will be used in my project as it reinforces the idea that smoking is glamorised by celebrities.

This Christina Aguilera in what appears to be a photoshoot. - She also looks extremely attractive in this photograph, the contrast of her blue eyes surrounded by low key lighting, evokes the idea of 'a rose that grew from concrete'. I will use this image in my project, as I feel that it will also be appropriate to prove my point that smoking is glamourised.

This is an image of Humphrey Bogart, as he was a film star who's career was at it's peak during the 1930's this image portrays the fact that smoking was even glamorised by celebrities years ago. However I'm not sure if I will use this image in my project as I feel that it doesn't particularly represent society now.

This is an image of Kiera Knightley in what appearsto be a scene of a film. As Knightley is an idoloised actress, this image might also be used in my project as it represents the fact that celebrities idolise smoking.

This is another photograph of actor Shahrukh Khan in what appears to be a movie role.

This is an image of Snoop Dog holding a Cigar, the positioning of his hand suggests that he is offering 'us' (the viewers) some of the cigar. One could assume that Snoop is suggesting that it is o.k to smoke, teenagers who see this may be negatively influenced. I will also use his image in my project as Snoop is one of the biggest and most idolised rappers in the world, this reinforces my argument that celebrities have a dominant power over the actons of society.


Editing Images




As the theme of my website will be red and black I have decided to add a red and black background to the images I found on the internet. They may appear tacky at first glance, however I feel that once incorporated into my website, they will correspond perfectly with theme I am trying to create. The black and red background on each image is consistent, this reinforces the ideas surrounding identity.






















This image is currently my favourite as I feel it the most effect. The extreme contrast of colours, makes the image stand out.

I feel that my choice to use the colours red and black were successful in presenting and creating a theme that stands out.

No comments: